elevenonce's page

DIARY IN ENGLISH & DIARIO EN ESPANOL / The themes of this page are "Life in a Grad school", "Supporting activity to fishermen in El Salvador"(Until Jun. 2005) , "Sports, esp, soccer", "His activities in NGOs", "What he thinks honestly" in the way of diary in which a Japanese guy describes his daily life.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

KYOTO

Dec. 20th @ Kyoto

I have been in seminars held at Kyoto in these 2 days. Kyoto is the most traditional city in Japan cuz it was the capital for a long time before the capital was changed to Tokyo.
The seminar I attended was about “volunteer management”, it means that how we can get the most of possibility that they have. In general, there are few organizations that can do it in Japanese nonprofit sector, unfortunately. I believe there are so many things they can learn from the private sector. however the number of joint programs between them is just a few. That is why many people say the nonprofit sector is not mature in Japan.
Of course, I do not like this situation, so I do not feel good. At the same time, it is a chance for me, I mean, business chance! The second seminar was about “Corporate Social Responsibility”. It is balanced, right? That is why I came to Kyoto just for 2 workshops!!!

By the way, I had an “interesting” experience there. When I was heading for Kyoto, it snowed a lot, especially in the middle area between Tokyo and Kyoto. It was said that the amount of snow was incredible cuz it snowed a lot for the first time in 20 years in that area!!! I left Tokyo at 9 p.m. by “night bus” that would arrive at Kyoyo in the next morning. BUT we had to stop in the expressway because of heavy snow, and had to go to the highway to Kyoto. It was soooooooooooooooooooooo crowded and it took time, so much time. It took 20 hours to get to Shiga prefecture that is next to Kyoto and my hometown belongs to. It was supposed to take just 6 or 7 hours!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

And my friend and I went to play golf (just smashing to reflesh ourselves!!!).